Henry Stephens was a foundation student of Camberwell Grammar School in 1886, and Dux of the School in 1894. He studied Medicine and Surgery at the University of Melbourne, and became Resident Medical Officer at the Children’s Hospital in 1901.
Serving the Children’s Hospital for 45 years, Henry became recognized as one of Australia’s leading paediatric surgeons. Co-founder of the Melbourne Paediatric Society, he was its Honorary Secretary for 20 years, and in 1950 was the foundation President of the Australian Paediatrics Association (Australian College of Paediatrics).
He served from 1931 to 1940 on the Faculty of Medicine and lectured at the university on diseases of children; from 1935 to 1940 he was Dean of the clinical school, Royal Children’s Hospital; and he was a councillor of the Royal Victorian College of Nursing and the Victorian Society for Crippled Children.
(1877 - 1952)